RE: [registrars] The .ORG Question
Sign me up !
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]On
Behalf Of Ross Wm. Rader
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 11:21 AM
To: 'Rob Hall'; 'Michael D. Palage'; email@example.com
Subject: RE: [registrars] The .ORG Question
> Why not invite all the applicants to come speak to us. If
> they want to show up, they can.
> But even if they don't, we can still have a debate on what we
> want to see, and then issue a communiqué on what we want, as
> opposed to be reactive to what the winner decides.
I strongly advocate that we proceed with this idea. If one remembers
back to the new gTLD creation process, the IP constituency issued a
similar communique that was very well received by both the applicants
and the board. If we are to make our opinion matter, now is the time to
act. All too often our constituency shows up at the ICANN meetings
without a decided position going in. Using these face to face meetings
effectively will mean that we can go into the ICANN meeting and use our
time lobbying our position(s) instead of deciding them.
It would make sense at this point to strike a working group to come up
with a draft communique that we can discuss and refine at the September
meeting. This will ensure that we have a strong focal point upon which
we can base our efforts. Designing a draft communique in the meeting
will be painful (as we have seen in the past).
It would make sense that this WG table their document for review with
the constituency 14 days prior to the meeting in order that the
membership can digest it and prepare for the discussion ahead of time.
I would also recommend that this working group consist of three or four
people that have an awareness of the basic issues, have no material
involvement with any of the bids and include at least one member of the
ExCom on an oversight basis.
Of course, I would be pleased to assist with this effort.
"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
- Steven Wright
Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
> -----Original Message-----
> From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]On
> Behalf Of Michael D. Palage
> Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 10:44 AM
> To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Subject: [registrars] The .ORG Question
> Hello All:
> As Rick mentioned to the Registrar list yesterday evening,
> ICANN has announced that the decision on .ORG is not likely
> to be announced until the end of September. One of the
> principle reasons that this meeting was being convened was to
> provide the new registry operator the unique opportunity to
> met in person with those registrars that control well 90% of
> the .org market share to discuss technical and legal issues
> (i.e. contracts, bonds, etc.) . The Executive Committee
> viewed this as critical in guaranteeing a smooth seamless
> transition between registry operators. Particularly in light
> of the fact that some potential bidders have no existing
> relationship with ICANN accredited registrars.
> The Registrar meeting is tentatively scheduled for the
> weekend of September 21-22. Although a decision on .org is
> possible by then, there is no guarantee from ICANN that this
> will happen. Pushing the meeting back one week is complicated
> by the fact that Afilias is having a shareholder meeting and
> a number of registrars will be attending that meeting in
> Dublin. Therefore in order to maximize registrar
> participation, the meeting would have to be pushed back till
> October 5-6. This date is only three weeks before the
> Shanghai meeting.
> Therefore as the Executive Committee begins its search to
> find a suitable meeting location (accessible to major airport
> hub and reasonable hotel accommodations), we need to have
> feedback ASAP as to whether to shift the date to guarantee
> that the .org winner will be able to address the constituency
> and enhance the likelihood of a smooth seamless transition.
> Best regards,