[registrars]

RE: [registrars] The .ORG Question

> Why not invite all the applicants to come speak to us.  If
> they want to show up, they can.
>
> But even if they don't, we can still have a debate on what we
> want to see, and then issue a communiqué on what we want, as
> opposed to be reactive to what the winner decides.

I strongly advocate that we proceed with this idea. If one remembers
back to the new gTLD creation process, the IP constituency issued a
similar communique that was very well received by both the applicants
and the board. If we are to make our opinion matter, now is the time to
act. All too often our constituency shows up at the ICANN meetings
without a decided position going in. Using these face to face meetings
effectively will mean that we can go into the ICANN meeting and use our
time lobbying our position(s) instead of deciding them.

It would make sense at this point to strike a working group to come up
with a draft communique that we can discuss and refine at the September
meeting. This will ensure that we have a strong focal point upon which
we can base our efforts. Designing a draft communique in the meeting
will be painful (as we have seen in the past).

It would make sense that this WG table their document for review with
the constituency 14 days prior to the meeting in order that the
membership can digest it and prepare for the discussion ahead of time.

I would also recommend that this working group consist of three or four
people that have an awareness of the basic issues, have no material
involvement with any of the bids and include at least one member of the
ExCom on an oversight basis.

Of course, I would be pleased to assist with this effort.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow