[registrars]

RE: [registrars] RE: Votebot

> I would think you would want to do 33.3% each based on those
> who voted .... otherwise you may never reach the 80% if 21%
> of the constituency never participated in a vote, and we
> would end up not using one of our NC votes. I think in the
> last official votebot vote on this, less than 55% of the
> constituency members voted, so we would have in fact wasted 2
> votes, as opposed to a 2-1 split.
>
> As I recall, we have weighted votes both ways, both inclusive
> and exclusive of those who didn't vote (often the alternative
> is pointed out by those who lost <grin>)

I considered 33.3%, but realized that it would take 100% to cast all
three votes - so I pulled the total back to 80% in recognition of Mike's
proposal regarding "consensus". Regardless of whether we went with 33.3
or 26.6, the fact remains that this approach only works if we measure
against votes cast and not membership of the constituency. A vote not
cast is not vote at all - only abstentions, in favor, in opposition can
be logically viewed as being useful.

> However, I do not support having a vote that MANDATES how our
> NC reps should vote.  I believe we picked them because of
> their sound minds and good judgement, and I vote to leave it
> to their discretion of determining the will of the
> constituency.  So far, they have participated in the
> discussions, and I would leave it to them to determine how to
> vote (especially after seeing the results of our vote!)

Perhaps - I'm happy to leave the vote as acting as a guide for their
decisions, but (with all due respect to our capable councillors) the
fact is that only one of our NC reps is actually elected. The lack of
electoral mandate makes me nervous and I'd prefer to compensate by being
as directive as possible to ensure that the grassroots views actually
have a chance of getting to the board-level (or close). The alternative
leaves us (as a constituency) in a position where "lobby" can take
precedence over the wishes of the constituents...not a great situation
methinks...

-rwr