[registrars]

RE: [registrars] WLS vote in Bucharest by Registrars

Hello Jim,

> Bruce, the DNSO did have a formal vote on WLS.  In a written
> motion that
> was circulated to all members and voted using the votebot
> Rick maintains,
> the resolution strongly opposing WLS was adopted by a 3 to 1
> margin.  In
> other words, approximately 75% of DNSO members voting voted
> in favor of
> this resolution, which strongly opposed WLS.
>
> The DNSO has voiced its strong opposition to WLS formally on
> a motion that
> was presented to the entire membership, given time for
> debate, and voted.
> The "straw poll" taken at the meeting in VA predates this
> formal motion,
> which still stands as the DNSO's official position on WLS.

I was not referring to a vote on WLS.  I was referring to a vote on the
REPORT of the Transfers Taskforce within the DNSO, which was taken at the
Bucharest meeting in Romania,
24 June 2002.  The report had a series of recommendations.

Please note also that views have shifted progressively since the issue was
first discussed, where WLS was originally being positioned as a solution to
add storms following dumps of deleted names.  It was subsequently reposition
by Verisign as a separate service, and the existing solution of using
separate pools of connections will remain to manage add storms.

Regards,
Bruce