[registrars]

Re: [registrars] EPP Discussion

> all the tld contracts have something in them about EPP, even the other
> gTLDs have to rev thir code base to what is specified in the RFC within
> 135 days of the IESG/RFC editor publishing them as a 'proposed standard'
> as described in RFC 2026

Verisign's requirement to adopt the EPP is conditional. Compare their
obligation to adopt vs. Afilias:

VGRS .com Contract:
VeriSign Global Registry Services (VGRS) is committed to participating in
and supporting the work of the IETF's provreg working group. VeriSign
intends to migrate the current Shared Registration System to the new
standard if: (1) The IETF working group defines a protocol standard; (2) the
standard can be implemented in a way that minimizes disruption to customers;
and (3) the standard provides a solution for which the potential advantages
are reasonably justifiable when weighed against the costs that VGRS and its
registrar customers would incur in implementing the new standard.

Afilias' .info Contract:
Afilias will implement support for the IETF provreg working group's protocol
specification no later than 135 days after it is adopted as a Proposed
Standard [RFC 2026, section 4.1.1].

On another note (speaking of contracts) - I noticed earlier that Neustar's
website indicated that they had been awarded .biz. Now perhaps this is a bit
pedantic, but didn't the bid get awarded to Neulevel? IIRC, that's who we
signed our Registrar contracts with...

Lastly - probably one of the funnier error messages that I have seen in a
while (generated by the web server of a registry who shall remain unnamed)

"An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to the server.
The most likely cause of this problem is that the server is not currently
running. Verify that the server is running and restart it if necessary."

How did the server generate the message if the server isn't running? ;)

Thanks,

-rwr