[registrars]

RE: [registrars] ICANN Restructuring Paper

Michael,

You have mis-represented what I said concerning the nominating committee.  I
am NOT suggesting more special interests on the nomination committee.  Just
the opposite is true.  Your draft 1 had all special interest seats, and I
clearly spoke out against that, and you changed your draft.

In this draft, you have left out 2 key points that I believe we need to
change.

First, you have not answered my direct and simple question as to what is the
difference between "Users" and "At large".  Your draft has 5 seats for each
of these, and I don't understand the difference.  Perhaps if you remove the
"At Large" phrase that most of us take to refer to "Users".  This would
leave 5 seats for Users, and 5 for Government appointed or equivalent
representatives, which is what I had originally suggested.

Secondly, I suggested the "providers tag" be changed to "contracting
companies" to be clearer about who this is.  This actually opens it up to
more groups including the RAR's, ccTLD's and Root Server Operators.  I am at
a loss as to how you see my suggestion as being in fear of "dilution".  Just
the opposite is true.  I am suggesting we take the high road, and open it up
to anyone with a contract directly with ICANN.  In this way, the true
stakeholders of ICANN are represented.

Others have expressed support for this on the list.  It is certainly what we
discussed on the call.  We are both very close on what we are proposing.  I
don't understand your reluctance to clean this up and put it to bed.  If you
disagree with both of these, can you please let me know specifically why.

Rob.