   Subject: [registrars] ALERT: ProspectMiner
   From: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
   Date: Tue, April 2, 2002 10:56 pm
   To: Registrars List <Registrars@dnso.org>

   Registrars:

   Your whois is being mined, well you probably already knew that. If you
   happen to have a web interface that allows someone to browse whois via
   the web, a company named update.com probably knows how to mine your
   whois.

   A snipit from their marketing lit...

   You enter a few example companies typifying your market, and
   update.prospectminer searches across the World Wide Web identifying
   all the companies within your specified market.

   update.prospectminer then goes to thousands of "live" online web
   sources extracting key sales intelligence including today´s
   decision-makers and influencers. Only the freshest information is
   delivered.

   You can also use the power of update.prospectminer to update your
   customer database, or other sources such as inbound web leads or
   prospects from marketing events.

   If you want to see more check out http://www.update.com and
   http://www.update.com/products/pm_en.html

   I just filteres several websites mining our whois and placed some
   calls one of which the network security guy found that his marketing
   department had just started running the application called
   ProspectMiner and that what was generating the queries.

   I'm going to place some calls to the update.com folks and explain that
   what theyare doing violates the AUP on just about every whois server
   out there.

   best,

   -rick