[registrars]

[registrars] Afilias Service Level Agreement

According to Afilias' SLA, the protocol performance for a single-entity payload should be:

Add/Renew/Delete/Update - 800ms
Transfer  - 1600ms
Check - 400ms

Now I realize that this is based on how their system monitoring tools simulates a registrar. But it seems to me that if a significant percentage of real-life registrar transactions are not getting this kind of response that there must be a serious problem with their monitoring tool.

We feel we are NOT getting the above response times on any kind of a consistent basis.  We are in the process of documenting the response times ourselves, particularly the Check response. We have complained to Afilias who basically claims that no one is having this problem but us. They actually suggested we increase our timeout on a Check from 30 seconds to 5 minutes!

So we'd like to know, has anyone else been experiencing slow performance with Afilias during part of the day? If so, are you willing to document your response times and submit same to Afilias and ICANN. At the very least we would like to see Afilias seriously review their monitoring methodology as we believe it may not be truly representative of what the registrars are experiencing.

If this cannot be resolved we feel we may have no choice but to stop cross-checking INFO and offer it only when specifically requested.

And Dan,  what constitutes an outage? Can they take 5 minutes to respond to a Check command (as they seem to suggest) and not call that an outage?

Tim Ruiz
Go Daddy Software, Inc.