[registrars]

RE: [registrars] FW: Registrar Accuses VeriSign Of Predatory Marketing

infact on closer examination i observe the following aspects

* The only way they can get the mailing address and contact info is from the
Whois, which means they have been harvesting Whois

* They are the only ones who can do this, since they have expiration dates
of every domain name and therefore would know exactly which domains Whois
information they should beharvesting.

Infact they also have data with respect to which companies have been
renewing their domain names regularly from the past 2-3years with other
registrars - so they can actually run one simple database query and obtain
daily a list of names expiring in 60 days from now, of those companies who
have atleast renewd their name once in the past and so are likely to renew
it again

it is obvious that being both the registry/registrar gives them quite a bit
of advantage - but isnt whois harvesting and using the data for sending
unsolicited offers against the icann agreement??

bhavin