[registrars]

[registrars] OpenSource Whois Server Development Project

Registrars:

I've started a SourceForge project for a open source whois server. the
project homepage is at http://whoisd.sourceforge.net/

I'm looking for interested folks that would like to help out with the
project. The server is written in C++ and uses the ACE Networking
Toolkit[1] and has an embedded c++ OORDBMS called Gigabase[2]

I consider the software Alpha and would not encourage anyone to run the
software in a production environment.

Over the course of the next week I'll have all the files for a basic
server that fulfills minimum ICANN Requirements for Domain Registrars put
into CVS and create a distribution.

I welcome any input developers may have in regards to the server, and
don't expect anything fancy I through the server together in a weekend as
an experiment and thought it would make a good baseline for something for
us to experiment with.

Some current whoisd server features include:

   o Provides basic Domain query support
   o Apache style logging
   o Multi-Threaded Design - using thread pools
   o Updateable in near Real-Time
   o Database Update APIs in Java and Perl5
   o online backup capabilities

Planned Improvements:
   o Static and Dynamic IP Black Lists to prevent data mining
   o Request Throttling
   o XML output
   o extended query language
   o ICANN Formatted Data Escrow Dump