From: Jim Archer [mailto:jarcher@registrationtek.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 3:41 PM
To: Michael D. Palage
Cc: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Registry and New Service Offering

Mike...

--On Thursday, January 17, 2002 2:52 PM -0500 "Michael D. Palage"
<michael@palage.com> wrote:

> I have to think about your comments of the WLS being a re-packed service,
> and let me explain why. A number of registrars offer a registrar lock
> feature, some for free (eNom) others at an additional cost. In the

Clearly, a registry can offer many services.  I think its important,
however, to distinguish among services that it can offer only because of
its monopoly position and those that it can offer regardless of its
monopoly position.  Verisign registry sells DNS service and gains no
benefit in this market because of its monopoly position.  However, if they
want to sell a service that only they can offer for technical reasons, or a
service that for technical reasons they could offer far better than anyone
else, this is a very different issue.

I ask that in your flow chart, you devise a means for differentiating
between three types of registry offered services.

First, those services a registry can offer and gain no advantage from due
to their monopoly position. (ie, DNS, web hosting)

Second, those services a registry can offer and, due to technical reasons,
no one else but the registry can offer. (ie, name registration and renewal)

Third, those services a registry can offer and, due to their monopoly
position, can offer them better than any competitor.  (ie, locks and
wait-like services).

In the case of the second category of service, my opinion is that offering,
pricing and administration of these services should be subject to
regulation.  In the case of the third services, I would not only like to
see these subject to regulation if offered, but I think we should
seriousely look at disallowing a registry from offering these services.

This is a critical issue.  I really think there needs to be a resolution to
what a monopoly registry is permitted to do before we seek to create a
system for letting them do it.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Jim

James W. Archer
Registration Technologies, Inc.