[registrars]

[registrars] Registry and New Service Offering

Hello All:

Although I have recussed myself from the discussion of the VeriSign WLS
service offering, I believe that we must ask ourselves the bigger question
of how do we as part of the registration authority industry (registrars and
registries) work together to roll-out new service offerings to registrants
given the symbiotic relationship that exists between registrars and
registries.

I believe the work the constituency did in connection with NeuLevel's IP
Claim service and GNR's e-mail forward service was productive. We collective
formulated and advanced a position reinforcing the role registrars must play
in servicing registrants. Based upon this and our collective experience from
the IDN test-bed I believe that the only solution going forward is to
develop a set of protocols for how new registry service offerings are
introduced in a controlled orderly fashion.

In connection with this effort, I have begun drafting a flow chart that
would allow all interested parties to provide input into the process while
protecting the business interests of registration authorities, both
registrars and registries. I will be circulating a draft shortly. But the
part of this flow chart that I would like to share with the constituency now
in connection with the WLS discussion is the following. There are generally
three objections to any new registry service offering: policy, price and
technology. What the draft committee should consider is how to distill the
comments into the following areas. Once you have consolidate the individual
and collective concerns you then allow for a more informed discussion.

Best regards,

Mike