[registrars]

RE: [registrars] RC WLS Response

We DO NOT agree that the DNSO should work with VGRS to refine this
proposal.  As stated in our comments, our opinion is that the proposal
represents anti-competitive behavior on the part of VGRS and that WLS would
inspire market activities that would harm our industry and consumers
worldwide.

We support the drafted DNSO response, although we don't love it.  We think
it does not go far enough in opposing this porposal.  Of all the
"solutions" I have heard proposed to this "problem" the WLS is the worst.

In any proposal on any topic, I would like to see a clearly defined
objective.  If there is a problem to solve, what is the problem and what
steps have been examined to remedy it?  If the goal is to make additional
opportunities, what does the DNSO suggest as potential new opportunities
from the registrar perspective?  These should form the basis of a proposal.

Finally, a word on the "abusive speculative registrations."  Like it or
not,  name speculators are a legitimate market segment, and one that
currently functions very well.  We have no right to modify our industry to
squash these people.

If you go to a sneaker outlet, you can select from sneakers ranging in
price from $20 to $500 or more.  You pay your money and you get a pair of
sneakers.  What would you tell the clerk at the sneaker outlet if he told
you that you could pay $70, and maybe you would get the sneakers and maybe
not?  I'm sure you would all rush to put down your money.

Despite Verisign saying there is a 100% chance of success, that's true only
if the name actually expires.  So there is no guarantee whatsoever, and if
there is no name delivered, the money is not refunded.  WLS, sneakers,
people expect to get something for their money.

Now, you tell me which is "abusive."

Jim

--On Wednesday, January 16, 2002 8:09 AM -0800 Rick H Wesson
<wessorh@ar.com> wrote:

> all:
>
> please weigh in on Nikolaj's comments below.
>

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Nikolaj Nyholm wrote:
>

>> I disagree with this black and white point of view.
>
> ok, this response is about registrar constituency consensus, which means
> that not everyone will agree but that a vast majority of us agree that the
> response is expressing as clearly as possible the will of those taking a
> stand.
>

>> While the poll showed unanimous opposition to WLS _as is_, I believe that
>> the general sentiment was to work _with_ VGRS on improving certain
>> aspects of the proposal, rather than focusing on new, alternative
>> proposals.
>
> ok, is there anyone else that believes this is true? Nikolaj, could you
> provide us with others that support your view?
>
> If this is your only exception then do you agree with the majority of
> the rest of the document? understand that its ok to disagree with points
> of the response, but we need to see significant opposition to it before
> the drafting team is going to change it.
>
>> The document does not reflect this nuance, and I can therefore not
>> support it in it's current form.
>
> ok, do you agree with the rest of the document?
>
> thanks,
>
> -rick

Jim Archer, CEO
Registration Technologies, Inc.