[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Comments on Proposed Domain Name Wait Listing Service

Hello Bhavin,

> > be preferable to list the registrar responsible for the
> > subscription in the
> > interests of transparency of the system.  This will allow
> domain name
> > registrants to see if anyone has placed a subscription on their
> > domain name.
>
> on one hand what you say Bruce makes sense, however on the
> other hand it
> does not. Consider that most of the domains that are allowed
> to expire are
> generally registered by Speculators. If a speculator
> registrant notices that
> someone else is interested in their domain name and has a WLS
> subscription
> on it they may actually renew the domain name and not let it
> expire, which
> is against what we are trying to achieve here.

Well speculators (and others that know the system) will find this out anyway
- either by attempting to place a WLS on their names, or via using a check
command through a registrar.  Ie some registrars will continue to cater for
speculators and provide them with information and services that match their
needs.

> Maybe instead if there exists a query to allow a Registrar to
> find out if
> there exists a WLS subscription through EPP (which would
> xist), a Registrar
> could put it in their Whois discretionarily (if they chose
> to) instead of
> making it compulsory on Verisign-grs.com.

Yes, registrars can certainly provide this information via an EPP command,
and provide this in some way on their website.

I still believe that the registry itself should provide this basic
authoritative information for the benefit of the simple consumer (as opposed
to the sophisticated user).

I am interested to hear what others think.

The experience with .info and .biz, was that the availability of basic
information on the status of domain name applications, etc would have saved
alot of customer service time.

Regards,
Bruce