[registrars]

RE: [registrars] $100,000 Surety Bond Waiver (fwd)

hi mark,

thanks for your efforts and feedback. I appreciate it. Here are my
comments -

> I've spent the last 2 months working this issue internally.
> Initially, there
> was a lot of good debate and it looked as though there might be movement,
> but in the end, VeriSign is standing firm on this. No one
> disagrees that it
> probably is not necessary for stable registrars. But many people feel that
> removing the requirement will create an environment where less stable
> registrars may more easily enter the market, something that would
> not be in
> the best interests of anyone.

from your dialogue above i believe you are constituting a financial
obligation on part of the registrar as a determinant to decide the stability
of a registrar. which is not entirely the right approach. there are the
following issues with your approach -

1. the financial obligations are quite high already for the accreditation
process with various fees and liabilities for various registries and
insurance etc

2. stability is not a factor of financial strength - considering that i know
some registrars who can easily pay for this bond but do not have the
technical knowledge or market awareness to maintain a stable registrar
operation

3. I thought ensuring that only stable registrars get in was the job of
icann, and not verisign. that is the spirit of the accreditation process. It
is also the reason why no other Registry has a surety bond demand. ICANN is
the one that needs to ensure that registrar accreditation is limited to
stable companies

4. The surety bond maybe to a CERTAIN extent acting as a disincentive for
less stable registrars. but that is not my point. my point is it acts as a
disincentive for even the stable ones. If stability is what you want to test
then it should be a pure stability test. Several countries make it next to
impossible to get a bond, and in several others it is a complex, lengthy and
expensive process. This creates a disincentive for registrars who are
potentially stable as well as creates a burden on existing registrars. with
a market where margins are diminishing I believe this additional financial
burden only prevents a registrar from making money. Here is where the cruz
lies - YOUR SURETY BOND REQUIREMENT DOES NOT DISCOURAGE INSTABLE
REGISTRARS - RATHER THE FINANCIAL BURDEN THAT IT IMPOSES ACTUALLY MAKES
STABLE REGISTRARS INSTABLE. You can ask all international registrars and I
believe a majority response will state that the MOST EXPENSIVE, TIME
CONSUMING process was that of obtaining the required surety bond.

> Therefore, I have begun investigating alternatives to the surety bond. I'm
> trying to find some way to satisfy the need to ensure business viability
> without requiring such a large financial investment. If you have any
> suggestions, pls relay them. I should have a list of viable
> alternatives by
> the end of next week. I see some suggestions in your original email below,

This is a good idea. Lets understand the spirit here. The spirit here is to
try and eliminate Registrars who are instable from getting operational. It
is ironical that Verisign requires an INDEMNITY BOND (which has no relation
to stability) to segregate this aspect.

* One very important aspect (which I am sure you will agree with if this
exercise is being done solely for the purpose of testing stability) is that
stability needs to be tested only until sometime. Which means if a Registrar
has over 20000-25000 names and has been operating reasonably for the past 1
year i dont see any reason for him to renew his surety bond. He has provem
his stability. So how about making the bond an initial requirement and
abolishing it once the Registrar establishes a certain volume of business
and is 1 year old. That way you prevent new INSTABLE entrants and at the
same time dont put a burden on existing registrars who are already quite
stable

* Maybe a dual deposit could be maintained. Instead of using a $100,000
security bond and a $100,000 surety bond one bond could serve a dual
purpose.

> but they don't really address the core issue. The issue isn't
> payment risk,
> the issue is the level of effort associated with unstable
> registrars. There
> have been a couple of cases in the last 60 days, and the general feeling
> here at corporate is that if we drop the surety requirement (without
> replacing it with something similar), we'll be dealing with a lot more of
> these situations.

can you highlight the specific cases you talk of (without giving any names).
I am specifically looking out for details with regards to how did these so
called cases affect the domain name market, did they jeopardise any domain
name registrant and have a drastic negative impact on the registry. If not
then probably the situation is being overrated.

Thanks
Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
CEO