[registrars]

[registrars] RE: ONE MORE IMPORTANT point

Bhavin,

Please note the following corrections to your points below.

Chuck

If and when there is an actual registration of a name from the WLS, the
$6 registration fee would be on top of the $49 WLS subscription fee.

 However Verisign Registrar makes
> the whole $49
> as profit.

There are a couple inaccuracies with this statement.  First of all, the
VeriSign Registrar, like every other register that might retail the
service for $49 would have a gross margin of $9 if the VGRS fee was $40;
the VeriSign Registrar will incur costs for offering this service so its
net profit before taxes would be $9 less its costs.  Second, from VGRS'
perspective, we will incur significant implementation and ongoing
support costs in making the WLS available, so to assume that even a
large percentage of the proposed $40 registry fee is profit is way off,
let alone all $40; also, because we are proposing a one-year trial,
there is risk that we will not even recoop our investment costs if the
trial is ended after a year.

> This definetly does not create a level playing field for
> Registrars since
> this becomes one more LOW MARGIN product for us Registrars.
> Here is the best
> part -
>
> . In case of Domain Names the cost to Registrars was $6.
> Therefore if we
> sold at $8 and Verisign Registrar sold at $35 they were making larger
> profits, but at the same time losing a large number of
> customers, so most
> Registrars. Customers chose other Registrars as a lower cost option
> primarily because of this.
>
> . Now consider WLS. In case of WLS subscriptions Verisign
> Registrar themself
> can afford to match any pricepoint of other registrars.
> Having the highest
> visibility and brandname in the domain name market I dont see
> customers
> looking out for other options to buy WLS subscriptions from. Each WLS
> subscription gives Verisign Registry a good margin anyways.
> In the domain
> name market Verisign was the default monopoly due to Network
> solutions. That
> is being eroded today primarily because of lower price points
> and NO other
> reason (I would luv to see the monthly snapnames report if
> EVERY Registrar
> was charging $35 per name). Now in case of WLS subscriptions,
>  Verisign
> Registrar can use their huge domain name base to effectively become a
> monopoly in WLS Subscriptions too. And here there will be no
> eroding of
> their market or distribution of the clients primarily because
> if Verisign
> Registrar wants they can MATCH the price point of other Registrars
> considering that the product effectively retails to the end
> customer at a
> $49 pricepoint today anyways
>
> Best Regards
> Bhavin Turakhia