[registrars]

[registrars] ICANN DNSO Budget & Its impact on the Registrar Constituancy

Fellow Registrars....

In the Names Council meeting Today i Voted against a request to have ICANN fund approx $170,000 of the DNSO budget for the next year.

As you are all well aware, a substantial amount of the ICANN budget is funded thru assessments on the registrar constituency (approx 50%).  This means that of any increase in the ICANN budget, 50 cents of each dollar is assessed to the Registrars.

Each constituency should pay its fair share of the DNSO operation and this proposal would pass a substantial burden from the other constituencies over to our constituency and I do not feel this is appropriate.

In my opinion, ICANN staff supported my position as well and I would not expect the proposal to transfer this burden to be approved.

Today's actions only reinforces my concerns that there may be attempts this year to impose additional financial burdens for ICANN operations & outreach (i.e. at large outreach) on us and we Registrars need to be even more pro-active.

The impact on the registrars could be very significant if we do not  work hard and organize for increased participation by ALL of our members in lobbying & advocating within ICANN to prevent this from happening.

Some constituencies (i.e. Business & Non-Commercial) have the  attitude that they support ICANN thru the purchase of domain names thru us and we registrars should use the funds that we collect from the end user to support ICANN and that they should not be asked to fund ICANN thru their constituencies. I disagree strongly with this view.

We are not allowed to pass these ICANN assessments thru to our customers as additional charges (as Telco's are currently allowed to do) and as such are forced in many cases to "eat" these expenses.

It is for exactly the reasons I point out above that ALL the members of the constituency need to be aware of these issues and work hard to keep us from being additionally burdened.

Ken Stubbs