[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Global Registrar Issues - My position and A proposal

Ken - thanks for taking the leadership on this.  It's a great idea.  I'd suggest the addition of the u-whois issue, as it relates to data and privacy, and the VRSN registry is moving forward with the issue (with or without us).
-----Original Message-----
From: kstubbs@digitel.net
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:00 AM
To: Registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Global Registrar Issues - My position and A proposal

Fellow registrars

From the outset, I have always strongly advocated for the ability of ALL registrars to do business globally and worked very hard to prevent discriminatory "barriers to entry" from being established.

We all recognize that the Internet provides us with the opportunity to do business anywhere in the world and how important it is for all of us to be able to facilitate anyone who wishes to use our service without the establishment of political restrictions & barriers.  To this end I have strongly advocated for all emerging registries (as well as registries now & in the future whose administration may change), to be obligated to offer their services thru ICANN-accredited registrars.

As a constituency we need to keep this goal paramount in our minds and continue to advocate to this end. We also have a responsibility as registrars to stay continually informed on global & regional issues that may affect both our customers as well as our ability to do business effectively in those forums.

To this end and recognizing the emerging global importance of "data protection & privacy" issues I am suggesting that we devote specific time at our spring meeting to a formal forum & round table on "emerging trends in data protection & privacy".

We have within our group a significant pool of people and companies who have dealt with or are deeply involved with these issues. We also have access to people from various regulatory agencies who could be made available to help provide a 'regulatory perspective" on these issue as well.

 I would propose a formal "session" at the upcoming spring meeting (regardless of where it be held) with the following topic suggestions:

  1. Emerging trends in data protection & privacy
  2. How to minimize registrar liability in these areas
  3. Technical issues as they relate to provision & maintenance of this data
  4. Impacts on data escrow and registrar transfer models

This is only a suggested outline for a session, which I personally feel, would be of significant benefit to all registrars and our customers.

We as a group need to stay fully informed on issues like this and the potential impact on our businesses

I look forward to your reactions to this proposal as well as suggestions for additional agenda items.

Best wishes

Ken Stubbs