From: Michael D. Palage [mailto:michael@palage.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 11:25 AM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] By-Laws

Liz,

By all means you can undertake an independent by-law review, however, there
are much more pressing issues on the agenda that confront the constituency,
transfers, IDNs, deletes, whois (universal & fraudulent data) etc. What I
find somewhat puzzling is that the two companies that are advocating by-law
amendments, Register.com and NameScout, are the ones that took the lead in
the last by-law review less than a year ago, during and after the Melbourne
meeting. At that time I gave the by-laws to Register.com and gave them
carte-blanch to modify them as they saw fit based upon the discussion during
and following the Melbourne meeting.

To me by-laws amendments are a luxury not a necessity, and we lose
credibility as a constituency screwing around with trivial administrative
issues while other vital issues go unattended. What good do by-law
amendments do if there are fewer registrars in our constituency as a result
of our failure to address those issues that impact a company's bottom line.

During the Executive Committee this past Monday I personally advocated
having you head up the review of the revised VeriSign,ICANN, DOC contracts
regarding the Audit and 2002 benchmark criteria. Your skills would be
incredibly value to the constituency in this area, but instead you continue
to focus on amending by-laws.

The discussion by the Executive Committee has been you can undertake
whatever study you want as along as it does not distract/divert the
constituency from more pressing issues. Asking for volunteers now and agenda
time in Ghana just seems like an imprudent use of registrar constituency
valuable resources.

Therefore I put forward to our Name Council candidates the following
question: where do you stand on this issue: are by-laws a priority or should
they wait. I and the other registrars await your response.

Mike

P.S. Regarding my earlier email, Jeff Neuman is the new Chair of the
REGISTRY Constituency, not the Registrar Constituency. There seems to have
been some confusion about this. There is still a lot of unfinished work that
me and the rest of the Executive Committee have left to do during your
current term :-)