From: Steven Nelson [mailto:steve@domainman.ws]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 5:29 AM
To: bhavin.t@directi.com
Subject: UK reg balls up!

Hello Bhavin

My name is Steve Nelson and I have a lot of .info domains that were registered during sunrise, I did this after following the exact advice given on my registars (UKREG.COM) .info information page. In a nutshell it stated that in sunrise anybody can register a .info domain as long as it is generic, ie sport.info and not a trademarked name, ie mcdonalds.info . The first I knew of the s*!t hitting the fan was from a challenge I received for a generic domain, I thought to myself, how can anybody challenge a generic domain. On further investigation I realised exactly what had happened and now I find myself being labelled a "cybersquatter" through no fault of my own. I had not entered any trademark info, never mind any false info as I was never asked for any. I have checked all of my "TM" dates and they are either 1899 or 2040, half of the stuff I registered were hardly common phrases in the late 19th century and I think the 2040 date is self explanatory. So I have looked at other domains regd at the same registrar and you wouldn't believe it, yep, you guessed it, 1899 and 2040, very perculiar don't you agree?

I am in full agreement of the DOMEBASE proposal and have contacted Afilias, explained my situation and asked for my registrations to be cancelled. They said they could not, but maybe one possible way to release the names would be to challenge myself... Doh!!!, why didn't I think of that? Over 100 domains at $295 a pop, not bloody likely, so now I face having to lose all the names I have planned for the past year, to somebody who has no TM right to the domain either, all this because they did not program a back door into the registry program to unlock domains in circumstances such as these. I also think some of the comments aimed at so called "cybersquatters" are not thought out properly, I would suggest that an "amnesty" site be set up for registrants who were mislead by their registrars to come clean and maybe sign a petition. There are a lot of people out there who are scared to come clean for fear of being "tarred and feathered", and I would put money on there being people out there who do not know their registrars have wrongly submitted their domains during sunrise, are not aware they have secured these domains as they assumed they had pre-regd for landrush and are therefore unaware of these goings on. Surely even Afilias would have to listen if  the owners of a few thousand illegal sunrise domains were to put their hands up and ask for mass registration cancellation, or maybe it's the optimist in me. They probably think the people who are protesting at the moment are just bitter because they "missed out", but if the honest people who actually "own" valuable domains complain, surely they cannot ignore these, or am I just being optimistic again?

Get an amnesty site set up and I will be your first member,also if you have any advice on cancelling registrations please e-mail me.

Many thanks

Steve Nelson