[registrars]

[registrars] Transfer vs. Renewal

Michael,
This is interesting in how the users are confused when Registrars offer a
Renewal but it is treated as a transfer. This customer came through one of
our ISP's to ask us about how to deal with this.

" I have received an e-mail from NetworkSolutions saying:

> Network Solutions/Verisign has received a request
> to Change the Registrar of your domain name,
> [DOMAINS NAME], to register.com, Inc..

Yes: the request has been initiated by myself, but
it was only for renewing my domain name, after
Earthlink notified that my domain name came
to expiration (in October 2001, I think.)
In any case, changing the Registrar was not my primary
intent.  What are the benefits?  Is it something that
EarthLink requires?  Cost changes? "

David W.
IARegistry