[registrars]

[registrars] We Work For You

I would like to thank Rick for his email, it is always important for the
elected registrar representatives to remember who we work for.

One other thing that I would like to comment on is that the newly elected
Registrar Officers, Executive Committee (ExCom), held our second
teleconference today. We are planning to hold a weekly teleconference among
ourselves to make sure that progress is moving forward on the many issues
confronting us. These teleconferences will be in addition to contemplated
regularly scheduled constituency teleconferences.

I would like to update the constituency on the events of Wednesday's
teleconference.

Item 1 - XFER issue. Tim Denton and I finalized the Registrar Constituency
letter that Ken Stubbs will be submitting to the Names Counsel tomorrow.
ActiveISP also submitted a rather on point letter that I believe will also
be submitted to the Names Counsel as well as Stuart Lynn. Several other
registrars are also preparing letters on company letterhead to submit as
well. A draft Registrar Complaint form is also being drafted that will be
circulated shortly to the constituency for comment. The proposed objective
is to begin to collect documented complaints in a standard format to submit
to ICANN.

Item 2 - Deleted domain names. Rick is taking the ball on this one for
several reasons. First, because I am one the SnapNames Board of Advisors, it
was agreed that I would recuse myself from leading any substantive
discussion on this topic. Chuck Gomes from the Registry has contacted me
about speaking to the Registrars on this issue in Montevideo. I plan to
invite Chuck as well as other registry representatives since this has a wide
impact on all registry operations.

Item 3 - VeriSign Registrar offering $3 or free annual registration fees for
transfers. I have been receiving an increasing number of alleged complaints
from registrars on this issue involving high volume account, i.e. thousands
of domain names. Contractually speaking there appears to be nothing
prohibiting VeriSign from selling names at $3 a pop or giving them away for
free. However, there are obvious competition concerns that this alleged
conduct raises. Piecing this information together is rather difficult
because it is alleged that in the VeriSign contract all terms of the
contract, i.e. sub $6 registrations fees, are confidential. This is an issue
that will be framed out in the weeks to come.

Item 4 - International Domains. Rick and Bruce Tonkin will be giving an
update on this issue.

Item 5 - Miscellaneous other business, creating an updated web site,
by-laws, records, etc.

We are contemplating a registrar teleconference next week to discuss these
issues and stage a plan of attack for Montevideo. Bryan is working with
ICANN to be able to withdraw funds from our credit account and pay for the
teleconference and other miscellaneous expenses that have been sorely
lacking.

Best regards,

Mike