[registrars]

Re: [registrars] GNR firstname@lastname.name issue

Donny Simonton wrote:

> I have to completely agree.  Try explaining to a customer that they just
> bought a firstname.lastname.name, but their email address is
> firstname@lastname.name and they have to pay an extra $15 a year to use
> it and you only receive email forwarding.

I don't forcast alot of demand for .name as it is.

By comparison, note that while "DonnySimonton.com", "RickWesson.com"
and "LarryErlich.com" among others are taken
(and it took me awhile to even care enough to register that),
the following are all still available:

mikepalage.com
rossrader.com
wernerstaub.com
ericaroberts.com
kenstubbs.com
vintoncerf.com

Here's an interesting one:

 register.com
      Unpaid Names Department-R
      575 Eighth Avenue
      New York, NY 10018
      US
      Phone: 212-798-9200
      Fax..: 212-594-9876
      Email: admin@register.com

   Registrar Name....: Register.com
   Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
   Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

   Domain Name: RICHARDFORMAN.COM

Bottom line, I don't see significant demand
for firstname.lastname.name or "firstname@lastname.name".
All of the inquiries that we have received so far
(and there haven't been that many)
are for simply "lastname.name" which will not be available.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> For $15 a year, I would expect to have a spam filtered POP3 account not
> just email forwarding.
>
> Donny
>
> > Ross,
> >
> > Thanks for your point about the pricing:
> >
> > > Commercial email vendors are typically providing full POP/SMTP/Web
> email
> > > services for less than $4.00 per year. Even with maximum volume
> > discounts
> > > taken into effect, the best GNR is proposing to offer is $15.00 per
> year
> > -
> > > and this is just for mail forwarding. Pricing for simple mail
> forwarding
> > > only is less than $0.10 (yes, ten cents) per mailbox forward per
> month.
> > > Typically, the mail outsourcers will bundle mailforwarding in with
> their
> > > full featured accounts.
> >
> > The pricing of course is just one reflection of the monopoly
> > position GNR is trying to get into with respect to email
> > forwarding. Only GNR can provided email forwarding for
> > firstname@lastname.name .
> >
> > We need to say no to the monopoly from the start,
> > even if GNR offered the service for free.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Werner

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com