[registrars]

[registrars] Release of expired names

Hello Paul,

> My understanding is that at midnight EST names are released causing a
> "flood" of queries soon after midnight resulting in networking issues,
> whereas if they were released incrementally during the
> following 24 hour
> period day neither the "flood" nor the networking problems would
> exist... comments/thoughts.....

I did raise this issue with some Verisign staff at the ICANN meeting in
Melbourne.
It is not only Verisign's registry system that gets hammered when good names
are released.
Our registrar systems have also been hammered by individuals and resellers.

It would seem that some sort of system similar to the pre-registration
process of ".biz" and ".info" may assist.  I guess this will be part of the
"proof-of-concept" of the new TLDs.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin