Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 4:49 PM
Subject: [RegistrarsList] Registry Advisory: Bandwidth and Session Limits to be Deployed within the SRS

To All Registrars:

VeriSign Global Registry Services is responsible for ensuring equivalent
access to the Shared Registration System (SRS) by all registrars.  Recently,
the deletion and subsequent availability of large numbers of domain names
have caused a domain "land rush" during certain hours of the day. During
these daily "land rushes" some registrars acquire unnecessarily large
numbers of RRP sessions, making it difficult for other registrars to acquire
the minimal number needed to conduct normal business. Whether this is due to
inefficient registrar systems, or a conscious desire to block competition by
monopolizing RRP connections, it is a behavior that cannot be supported or
condoned. VeriSign GRS has been working with ICANN to determine an access
policy that will address this abusive behavior while protecting the
equivalent access requirements of the COM, NET and ORG Registry Agreements.
Our goal is to protect the equivalent access of each registrar without
impacting legitimate business operations.

The first step in this process will be to limit the total bandwidth any
single registrar can consume, along with the total number of RRP sessions
any single registrar can simultaneously open.  Beginning Tuesday July 17,
each ICANN accredited registrar will be limited to 256K in bandwidth and 250
simultaneous RRP connections.

As always, we recommend each registrar evaluate the efficiency of their
systems. VeriSign GRS will share with each registrar their bandwidth
utilization and RRP connection trends, in addition to efficiency (i.e.,
number of transactions per connection).

RRP bandwidth and connections will always be a finite commodity.  The recent
"land rush" events indicate that the informal measures we have relied on in
the past will not ensure that all registrars have fair access to this
commodity.  VeriSign GRS recognizes that, although they should be helpful in
the short term, the bandwidth and connection limitations described above
will not ensure access in all load circumstances and are only a partial
solution.  We will therefore be working with  registrars and ICANN to
develop fair and effective longer-term means of providing every registrar
appropriate access to the SRS.

If you require additional information, please contact VeriSign Global
Registry Services at info@verisign-grs.com or +1 703-925-6999.

Best Regards,

Chris Sheridan
Manager, Customer Service
VeriSign Global Registry Services
www.verisign-grs.com
info@verisign-grs.com

---------
Participants on the Verisign Global Registry Services registrars list are requested to not cross-post messages.