[registrars]

[registrars] Electoral Statement of Tim Denton

This message is also available in technicolor at my website at
 http://www.tmdenton.com/Personal%20page/election-registrars.htm

To the Registrars

As you will have seen from the email from our Names Council representatives,
I am running for the position of secretary of the Registrars' Association.

I have spoken with many electors in the past three weeks, and have been
encouraged by your responses so far. I want to assure you that I will be
continue to seek a sensible solution to the problem of domain name
transfers, if you see fit to elect me to the position. This is the key issue
before the registrars at this time.

The net works by means of open standards and technical cooperation. This
principle should be preserved in the domain name system.

Transfers should be technically easy to accomplish. The registrant has
already paid for the transaction. Consequently, transfers should not be
subject to the discretion of the losing registrar for any but the most
serious reasons, which should be limited, and explicit. I hope the incoming
officers of the registrars' association will assist in the resolution of
this problem.

For the past two years, I have been in regular attendance at the registrars'
sessions at the ICANN meetings on behalf of Tucows, Inc, and have been
involved in lobbying for the expansion of TLDs, the drafting of the code of
conduct, and other issues of common interest, such as the adequacy of the
current whois look-up arrangements.

The position of secretary requires organization and diligent attendance to
the paperwork, which I can provide. I can function in a team and seek
consensus. I will work with whomever is elected.

I sit on the board of directors of the Canadian Internet Registration
Authority (CIRA) as the representative of the .ca-registrars association. I
have written extensively on Internet issues, including the process of
delegation of IANA authority to countries, inter-carrier Internet charging
arrangements, and the issues involved with the ongoing transition to an
Internet-based architecture of public networks. (see www.tmdenton.com)

I have a degree in law from McGill University in Montreal and an
undergraduate degree in political science and history. I have served in the
cabinet secretariat to the Canadian federal government (the Privy Council
Office) and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

If you are to look, my website (www.tmdenton.com) contains numerous
references to published articles on a variety of Internet/telecommunications
issues, and gives a better idea of who I am.

Timothy Denton, BA,BCL
37 Heney Street
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1N 5V6
www.tmdenton.com
1-613-789-5397
tmdenton@magma.ca

[...]

For the past two years, I have been in regular attendance at the registrars' sessions at the ICANN meetings on behalf of Tucows, Inc, and have been involved in the drafting of the code of conduct, and other issues of common interest, such as the adequacy of the current whois look-up arrangements.