[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Tucows Position On Transfer Policies

At 06:52 AM 6/15/01 -0400, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:
>The downside to what you are proposing is exactly what Bob Connelly brought
>up yesterday - registrars employ a broad and varied number of business models.

Dear Ross:

And those models must take into consideration the legal systems of the
countries involved.  I wrote up the features of the Japanese system which
relies upon seal certificates from the legal affairs office for companies
and the city or ward office for individuals.

However, recently we received notarized documents from a registrant in
Brazil who wanted to transfer its domain to our sponsorship.  It came out
of the blue with no advance warning.  It all appeared proper so we
requested advance payment and processed it.

That also happened with a Korean registrant.  That firm sent a seal
certificate similar to that used in Japan.

I think the essential feature is that the gaining registraR must be willing
to provide documentary evidence to the losing registraR when it is
requested by the losing registraR.  I believe ICANN procedures include this
step when requested.

To other registrars, you may rest assured that any requests for transfer
initiated by our firm are based upon solid documentary support.

Regards, BobC