[registrars]

Re: [registrars] International Domain Names

Rick

FYI to follow up on the IDN discussion the Names Council passed a resolution in
Stockholm, 12 votes for and 1 (Verisign) against:
 Kane: Motion: “NC Recommends that ICANN encourage ccTLD and gTLD Registries to
delay the deployment of resolution of IDNs until such time as the IETF has met in
August 2001 where it is expected a standards document for IDNs will be agreed.”

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/stockholm/archive/scribe-nc-060201.html#aob

Unfortunately the Board did not support the delay until August. I too hope the
IETF will conclude their standards work as soon as possible... in August a
statement is due to be made.

Following private discussions, Verisign Registry are willing to work closely with
Registrars to smooth the introduction of  IDN..... and then again to assist in
making the transfer from the current system to that adopted by the IETF.

Best

Paul