[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Transfer Procedure

Yeah, maybe we should considering marketing a service
to current Register.com customers (you didn't remove
all instances of it in the email below).

Something like:

"Why pay Register.com $35 for your domain renewal?
For a $10 service fee, we guarantee Register.com
will allow you to renew your name for only $12"

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

Paul Stahura wrote:

> For those registrars who have not seen
> an example email that a registrar is sending
> out, see below.  This registrar may have
> changed their email format since this email was sent
> about a month and a half ago.
> If someone has an email from any losing registrars
> who are sending these "confirmations" in the last few
> days, please post them.  I will ask our
> registrants encountering problems in the last
> few days to forward example emails to me.
>
> Some problems that we are encountering are
> 1) The first line of the email says
> "this message is to confirm your request to transfer"
> which implies that the transfer has taken place and
> this email is acknowledging that fact.  Only if
> the entire email is read do the registrants
> find out they need to do anything.
>
> 2) The URLs to click on are too long and get cut
> off making it impossible to simply click on them
> to ACK the transfer.
>
> 3) They registrant only has 2 days to comply.
>
> This particular registrant clicked on the email link
> 3 times, without being transferred.
> Finally the registrant called the losing registrar, and chewed them
> out. The name has since transferred successfully.
>
> The biggest problem is that with a
> no answer = NACK policy, there is no incentive
> for the losing registrar to make an easy process.
> In fact, with a no answer = NACK policy
> the losing registrar has an incentive
> to make the process difficult and expensive for
> the registrant and the gaining registrar.
>
> I believe ultimately a no answer = NACK policy
> will backfire on those registrars attempting it,
> but in the meantime it is costing our industry
> its reputation (let alone big money).
> Efficient, no hassle transfers is the basis of competition.
>
> For those registrars who are sending "confirmation" emails,
> would you please make public the ratio of people
> clicking on "yes transfer" vs "no dont transfer"
> vs "no reply" to this list, so the rest of us can
> have a more informed discussion?
>
> I would wager that most of the losing registrars customers
> are choosing "yes transfer", because we, at eNom, found once
> a registrant decides to transfer out of eNom, it is very difficult
> to change their minds.
>
> Paul
>
> customersupport@[registrar name removed].com on 04/18/2001 08:39:00 AM
>
> To:   [email address removed]
> cc:
> Subject:  Your Registrar Transfer Request
>
> This message is to confirm your request to transfer the registrar for the
> domain name(s) below from [registrar name removed].com to another
> registrar. We hope you'll reconsider and renew your domain name with
> [registrar name removed].com for an additional year for only $12!
>
> Don't miss out on the benefits register.com is committed to provide you,
> including:
>
> SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.  Customer service is of paramount importance at
> [registrar name removed].com, and our goal is to help our customers
> [...]

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com