[registrars]

[registrars] Fees Question

I have received questions about the registrar constituency fees and the
chart that I previously circulated. There were two columns $250 & $750,
representing respectfully the first and second year draws as defined by
ICANN's accounting practices for the Names Counsel fees.

It has been asked if an original accredited registrar must pay the original
$250 fee in order to be in good standing. I believe upon my reading of the
by-laws the answer is no. A registrar may join the constituency at any time,
remember based on our previous discussions it cannot be mandatory.
Therefore, a member must be up to date with his current fees in order to
vote. Going forward, because of the new provision, I do not believe that
non-payment will be an issue.

The chart was a little confusing going across, but this is an ICANN internal
document. That is because ICANN has only transferred a portion of the funds
based upon draws that ICANN has made against the individual constituencies.
You will notice that the registrars have a credit balance, and I believe we
are the only constituency to have one. This balance will be used to pay for
teleconferences etc. However, we must closely follow the efforts of the
ccTLD requesting to withdraw from the DNSO as this might increase our
individual fee component.

In accordance with a recently passed provision the constituency can begin
drawing on this balance to cover miscellaneous expenses. Please note this is
a small amount of money, nothing more than a few teleconferences etc. In
accordance with the Board resolution the Names Counsel needs to notified as
to who is designated within the constituency to make these requests. Because
there will be a newly elected Treasurer, I will delay until this person is
elected in the next couple of weeks before notifying ICANN.

Mike