[registrars]

RE: [registrars] IDN's moving forward

Dear Competition,

I find it highly ironic that Verisign would move forward with the next
phase of the multilingual testbed as a result of a straw poll of
registrars.  I approve of the idea of Verisign bowing to our desires,
but I suggest that you should mark this day on your calendars, because
such fine solicitude for the sentiments of the registrars has never been
heard of or seen before, and may never appear again.

Less ironic, but just as telling, is that Registrar approval was never
one of the criteria for moving forward with this next step.  Here is
what Paul Hoffman says:

'VGRS stated earlier that the exit criteria for Phase 3.2 was
"Availability of open source ACE toolkits for application
developers." To date, no toolkit has appeared. There are ACE
conversion routines, of course, but no toolkits. Because of this,
there are literally no applications that support IDNA today.

'How can you move to Phase 3.3 when you have not even met your stated
exit criteria for Phase 3.2?

'Further, VGRS said that the purpose of Phase 3.2 was "To enable those
administering internationalized zones to identify issues relevant to
the administration of zones containing ACE-encoded internationalized
domain names." Well, one of those issues is that the standard is
about to change.

'Now that this very significant issue has been identified, shouldn't
VGRS spend the time to help the registrars prepare for the new
encoding?'

At a recent teleconference, the registrars all agreed that one of the
changes we wanted inserted into the proposed (now real)
Verisign-ICANN-(DoC) agreement was a requirement that Verisign provide
120 (or was it 90?) days notice of new products.  Whether or not this
qualfies as a new product, it was pretty clear that the registrars that
days felt that the introduction of changes to the Registry without ample
explanation and warning were injurious and unjustified.

So NameEngine certainly feels that this "survey" doesn't represent our
point of view.

Antony

Antony Van Couvering
CEO, NameEngine