[registrars]

[registrars] Current Ballot -- Issue #8

Hello all,

To help clarify Issue #8 regarding eligibility for elected offices, I have
attached a couple of emails that were sent to the RC Task Force mailing list
when the issue originally arose.

As I understand it, the language and intention of Option A(2) will not
prevent anyone who is currently eligible for constituency offices from
running for office, it simply would require that all candidates have the
endorsement of an operational registrar in their nomination.  This is
intended as a safeguard to the registrars that are actively registering
names, without limiting the involvement of constituency members whose
registrar businesses may not be operational.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Laura Fleisher
Assistant Manager, Policy and Public Affairs
register.com, Inc.
lfleisher@register.com
(t)212.798.9144
(f)212.594.9876

Tim: thoughts on structure:

Paremeters to be determined:
1)	Include flexibility for the future that the Chairs don't have to be from
the registrars necessarily (the Professional Association model, where those
that make  up the Association are not necessarily employees of the group
they represent (i.e., registrar employees).
2)	Is it open to all? (Benchmark should be that you are at least fully
accredited, not just accepted but not fully accredited)
3)	Is the goal/purpose to be issues driven, political force, what??

4)	Define who can be elected:
	How do we elect the representatives?
	Must they be an existing employee of a registrar?
	Are consultants ok?
	Do we care?
	How is the electing/voting for positions done? people put up one page bios?
	What happens if the elected person leaves the company or is no longer
employed by a registrar? (i.e., the Erica Roberts issue with the Names
Council)?
	If small and large capacity registrar representatives, what defines
"large?"
	Registry/Registrar difference/influence

5)	Elections:
	1 vote per company?
	Must be in good standing (dues paid) in order to vote?
	[What happens if dues aren't paid]?

6)	Concerns:
	we don't want to be taken over by non-operational registrars; don't want to
be taken over by big business either.

7)	Positions: do they vote on anything like the Names Council does? If they
carry power/decision on behalf of the constituency, this could be a problem;
the operational registrars have to be protected.

8)	Chair, Large Cap, Small Cap Reps must be operational as a qualification
for election. Chair could be debatable, but not the registrar rep. Other
positions don't need to be operational registrars, but one could argue that
the Tech should be, and Communications Outreach, as experience as an
operational registrar makes issues more real.

I apologize for the somewhat scattered message, but trust you can
re-organize it to suit your needs.

Maureen