[registrars]

[registrars] Accreditation in New TLDs

I have received several emails and calls from registrars inquiring about the
ICANN press release announcing the newly signed contracts with Afilias
(.info) and NeuLevel (.biz), see
http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr15may01.htm

Registrars have been particularly concerned about how they go about being
accredited for these new TLDs. I will ask Louis or Dan to address this
authoritatively as soon as possible. However, I believe this issued was
resolved last week in the Special Board teleconference. In the preliminary
report available at http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-07may01.htm,
resolution [01.62] states:

[T]hat the President is authorized to implement the agreements once they are
signed, including by accrediting registrars for the .biz and .info top-level
domains (in that regard, registrars already accredited and in good standing
for .com, .net, and .org may be accredited for .biz and/or .info without
additional qualifying procedures upon entering an accreditation agreement
that the President determines is consistent with the existing accreditation
agreement for .com, .net, and .org, conformed to variations in contractual
terminology and circumstances of the new TLDs).

I will keep you posted on this important issue.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage
Secretariat of the Registrar Constituency