[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ICANN - Verisign - .org registry

Ivan Vachovsky wrote:

> 3. We at Abacus applied for new TLD Registry and as part of our application
> we did a detailed financial analysis of the cost of running a Registry. For
> moderate volumes it is $2 per name per year.
> All of us Registrars are paying $6, thus pouring 200% profits into VeriSign
> coffers. I do not mind if they take the money and do cryptography research
> or whatsoever. What they do though is take our money and go and buy
> advertisement space to compete with us as a Registrar. This is wrong !

That is correct.
And I agree with you, except that to me, it obviously does
make a difference, EVEN if they use the profits to cure cancer.
It shouldn't work that way.

In any way, shape, or form, it makes them a stronger company,
and a more formidable competitor.

Higher profits mean better employee barbecues,
and they can then attract
better employees. (And of course I'm sure anyone
from Verisign is allowed to attend those barbecues
and discuss business.) They also can design systems
knowing what the impact is on their retail division.
And the retail division has upwind input to the
specifications I would imagine.

AS PROOF OF THIS POINT, it is obvious that
individuals at both NSI Registry and Registrar
were aware of these discussions with ICANN that
have dated back to the SUMMER (source: ICANN).
BUT NONE OF US KNEW ABOUT IT.
(That is a NICE advantage isn't it.)

Did any of you plan your business knowing
that this was going to happen? NSI Registry
was able to. I wish I had known.

Allow them to be both registry and registrar?
No way, no how.

> 4. ICANN proved recently that they follow their pre-determined policy no
> matter what. I personally do not believe that any public comments,
> teleconferences, Melbourne discussions will change anything. ICANN is being
> moved by the big capital, because domains are a big game. The role of the
> smaller Registrars is to act as a decoration to the party. For this reason
> I'm not going to Melbourne. Those who will go, please send a post card with
> a view.

I also agree with this. The fix has always
been in for NSI and now Verisign. It's an SAIC ex CIA
thing apparently. They do these outrageous things and
always end up on top somehow.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com
Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.