[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ICANN - Verisign - .org registry

Fellow Registrars,

1. ICANN started as a very progressive organization and they deserve credit
for breaking up the monopoly in the .com .net .org Registration process.
They did a lot of work to define and streamline the process, we now consider
for granted. ICANN deserves our appreciation for the excellent pioneer work
they have done.
If you remember, Network Solutions (NSI) was in a war with ICANN, they
refused to recognize them and it was a real war.

NSI (later VeriSign) became smart very soon thereafter and applied the old
Roman rule "if we can't conquer them let's join them". Since than ICANN is
playing to the tunes of VeriSign and big business.

2. Not only ICANN is reinforcing the presence of Verisign in the .com arena,
but they quietly awarded them interest in the new top level domains. In
different shapes and forms VeriSign will be participating as both Registry
and Registrar in the new top level domains.

3. We at Abacus applied for new TLD Registry and as part of our application
we did a detailed financial analysis of the cost of running a Registry. For
moderate volumes it is $2 per name per year.
All of us Registrars are paying $6, thus pouring 200% profits into VeriSign
coffers. I do not mind if they take the money and do cryptography research
or whatsoever. What they do though is take our money and go and buy
advertisement space to compete with us as a Registrar. This is wrong !

4. ICANN proved recently that they follow their pre-determined policy no
matter what. I personally do not believe that any public comments,
teleconferences, Melbourne discussions will change anything. ICANN is being
moved by the big capital, because domains are a big game. The role of the
smaller Registrars is to act as a decoration to the party. For this reason
I'm not going to Melbourne. Those who will go, please send a post card with
a view.

Best regards,
----------------------------------
Ivan Vachovsky,