[registrars]

[registrars] Formation of Council of European Registrars...

Fellow Registrars

Today I received an email advising that Registrars based in Europe are
invited to join an association called CO-EUR (Council Of EUropean
Registrars) for the purpose of providing input to Policies in the
proposed .EU TLD. This was the first time I had heard of this proposed
group.

Thus it seems the CO-EUR initiative is simply focused on Policy matters
for .EU. Whilst it is early days, I obtained an assurance from the
Commission at the last EC-PoP meeting that all ICANN Accredited
Registrars (including non-European based Registrars) will be eligible to
register names in the proposed .EU TLD to ensure and all inclusive
registrar constituency. I have been asked to be involvd in this group
such that I may keep you all informed of any developments.  Their first
meeting will be on the 11th or 12th January.....

I attach the email for your information:

Happy Christmas and New Year to all:

Paul

Paul M. Kane - Director  Tel:+44 1202 420 710 Fax:+44 1202 430 580
REACTO.com, PO Box: 4040, Christchurch, BH23 1XW, U.K.
Providing stand-alone ICANN Registrar systems to interface gTLD
registries.

To date :

The Commission is about to submit to the Council and the European
Parliament a small piece of
legislation in order to have the necessary power to designate the Dot EU
Registry organization and
to create the public policy framework for its future activities.

REGISTRARS NEXT STEPS :

1) CO-EUR (Council Of EUropean Registrars)
At the initiative of European Icann accredited registrars an association
of European Registrars
(CO-EUR) with its headquaters in Berlin has been formed to comply with
the European commission
criteria. The European commission sees an advantage in European ICANN
accredited registrars
and other European registrars coming together in a unified group.
Membership is open to all of the
above. European Registrars are urged to participate in this important
body for the future of Dot EU.

Please Fax a “Letter of Intention to Participate” to :

Francois Collignon
7ways
1300/1090 route des cretes
06560 Sophia Antipolis – France
Fax : +33 4 929 60 927
Tel : +33 4 93 00 4452
collignon@7ways.net

 2) WHY BECOME A MEMBER OF CO-EUR

Following the European Commission proposal and the Interim Steering
Committee Draft an
“At-Large organization will be formed representing all interests”. The
At-Large organization will be
formed on the lines of a non profit body in charge of making policy
under the power of  the
Information society Directorate General
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/information_society/index_en.htm
This organization should represent the widest possible interests,
particularly those of the registrars.
CO-EUR’s participation in this organization is the key to the success of
the Dot EU. The
organization (with the aid of the commission) will call for tenders for
the operational management of
the dot EU. The tender model will probably be the classical one used by
the commission.

3) SCHEDULE
To date until January 9 2001 : Call for letters of intention to
participate in CO-EUR.
End of December until January 9 2001 : Invitation to participate at the
first meeting of CO-EUR
January 11 or 12 -2001 : Ec-pop meeting in Brussels and first meeting of
CO-EUR (same place)

Best regards and happy holidays,
francois