[registrars]

[registrars] EMERGENCY NC NOMINATION / ELECTION

Hello people,

I know most of you are probably busy preparing registry applications prior
to the October 2 deadline, however, there is an emergency that has arisen
within the constituency. It appears that Erica Roberts no longer works for
Melobourne IT. Under the ICANN rules, people NOT companies are elected to
ICANN positions. Therefore she may be technically our representative.
However, this must be analyzed in light of our by-laws that require memebers
to be a ICANN accredited registrar. Depending on how this legal situtation
is resolved I believe it is vital that we maintain our full names counsel
representation during this time. Assisiting us in maintaining our full names
counsel representation is an item that we voted on early in the year that
established a proper chain of command in the case of the inability of a
Names Counsel representativeto fulfill his/her duties. Luckily this and the
efforts of Paul Kane helped us maintain our full block of voting power
yesterday. Now that Ken Stubbs has returned from London, he will be actively
involved as well in protecting our collective interests.

Depending how this issue is resolved I believe it would be prudent to start
accepting nominations for any person who is NOT a citizen from North America
or Europe and would be interested in running for the third Names Counsel
seat. If Erica resigns or it is determined that she cannot be our
representative because she is not working for an ICANN accredited
registrars, then next Friday I will start a voting process that will last
for seven days if there are multiple candidates. In this case voting would
be scheduled to end on September 29, 2000.

Mike