[nc-whois]

[nc-whois] TR: New WHOIS Database Rules

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Bob Keller [mailto:bob@bobknet.com]
Envoye : mardi 8 avril 2003 01:09
A : secretariat@dnso.org
Objet : New WHOIS Database Rules

Ladies & Gentlemen,

While I support the efforts to achieve a modicum of privacy in WHOIS
lookups, I think it is also important to have "some" basic and essential
information on Domain ownership available to the public.  For example, in
doing business on the Internet, I believe it's important to be able to look
up who owns a company web site, and where they are located -- for this
often has a bearing on whether I choose to do business with the company or
not.

If the Domain Name is registered to a business, or if the domain is
registered to an individual who is doing business on the Internet, why
would any legitimate business or business owner NOT want ALL of the
pertinent information relevant to the business to be available to the
public?  I would certainly be suspicious of any business that would
not.  Full disclosure of company information should therefore be mandatory
in these cases.

However, if a domain is registered to an individual and the site is being
used for purely for non-commercial purposes, I support restricting the
available WHOIS ownership information to Name, City and State only -- IF
the individual desires such privacy.   It should be at the individual's
option to have the balance of the domain registration information
displayed.  Technical contact information should be displayed in its
entirety, since this is often needed to contact web site or E-mail
administrators, in the event of malfunctions.

Thank you for reviewing my comments.

Bob Keller