[nc-whois]

[nc-whois] Yet another draft document; comments on Marilyn's proposal

In order to make sure that we have some alternatives to consider on
today' call, I'm attaching my personal take at a high-level WHOIS
privacy issues report.  This is based on the "policy options"
document discussed by the Task Force last week, amended with some
very high-level and rather brief discussion of different
perspectives, and by Marilyn's "issue 7".

Concerning Marilyn's draft, I have strong concerns about the
structure of the document: Under issue 2, there is some mix of
differentiating access by use(r) and by registrant class. At least
some of this would rather belong under issue 3's headline. The text
there in turn drifts off into a discussion of third party services
and fundamental privacy concerns (which don't seem to belong there,
either). Issue 4 discusses the anonymity argument under the heading
of "legitimate uses".  Issue 6 returns to differentiating by
registrant, which would seem to belong to issue 3.

Also, I'm confused by some of the policy actions proposed.  Most of
these don't look like policy actions or proposals to me, but merely
seem to be proposals for gathering further background information.

Finally, issues 1 and 7 don't look like "issues" to me, but like
background and perspective statements.

I'm looking forward to discussing this further on today's call.

Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

whois-options.pdf

whois-options.doc