[nc-whois]

Re: [nc-whois] Contribution Of Globally, Publicly Accessible WHOI S Information To Identity Theft And Other Fraud

The conclusion from all this is that anyone who's active in
enforcement (even privacy commissioners, when they are wearing that
hat) certainly will view WHOIS as a valuable tool -- but that this
view is just one side of the medal, with concerns like the one cited
by Ruchika being on that medal's other side.

How do you balance these perspectives?  That's precisely the
question future policy work will have to address.  We are, at this
point, in the process of laying the foundations for that work, in
particular by explaining the different perspectives.

Trying to find out now which of these perspectives is the "right
approach" (or asking this or that government entity what kind of
balance they would strike, according to the politics and lobbying
around them) would be pointless and unproductive.  (Besides that, it
would waste time we don't have.)

Both views have merit, and the best thing we can do at this point is
probably to present *both* of them as clearly and accurately as
possible.

Thomas Roessler				<roessler@does-not-exist.org>