[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] Contribution Of Globally, Publicly AccessibleWHOIS Information To Identity Theft And Other Fraud

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <baf@fausett.com>, "whois" <nc-whois@dnso.org>
  • Subject: RE: [nc-whois] Contribution Of Globally, Publicly AccessibleWHOIS Information To Identity Theft And Other Fraud
  • From: "Burr, Becky" <Beckwith.Burr@wilmer.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:57:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-nc-whois@dnso.org

One note of caution - one needs to be careful about an automatic notification.  This could compromise the privacy rights of the searcher (this doesn't bother me too much) and it could undermine an investigation (which neither law enforcement nor the IP community will like).  In .name we will allow people to make an access request, we contact the searcher, they have a time limited opportunity to make a case as to why the information shouldn't be released.