From: owner-nc-whois@dnso.org [mailto:owner-nc-whois@dnso.org] On Behalf
Of Kristy McKee
Sent: 22 November 2002 16:29
To: Karen Elizaga
Cc: nc-whois@dnso.org; Francis Coleman; fcoleman@rochester.rr.com
Subject: Re: [nc-whois] Revised Bulk Access Draft

At 01:40 PM 11/22/2002 +0000, Karen Elizaga wrote:
>Thanks, everyone, for your comments.  Again, I have tried to
>incorporate
>all comments as best I could.

>respond as follows:
>
>1.      Re: Kristy's opt-in concern:  I agree that the survey results
>showed that opt-in was largely supported by the respondents, and it
>would
>be my preference to incorporate such a structure into our
>recommendation.  However, a point was made early on that opt-out was
>probably overlooked as a feasible structure as a result of visceral and

>adverse reactions to marketing where NEITHER opt out or opt in have
been
>made available.  The interim report, as published, contains this
language
>and therefore has been carried through in this draft - see 3.3.6.3
>discussion (the new bullet point simply makes the same point for
further
>recommendations).  If we want to change our recommendation to advocate
>opt-in, then we should discuss.

Thank you,

I just want us to be clear that we do not have a consensus agreement for

either.

Both need to be evaluated.

More support was received for opt-in.

I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone overlooked opt-out as an option.  That needs to
be
changed to state some of the TF or a majority of the TF; but certainly
not all.

(Supporting Opt-Out is supporting spam at all levels, I just don't
understand how anyone could think otherwise.)

Please modify to at least acknowledge that the Task Force does not
believe
opt-out was overlooked.  I do not agree that it was overlooked;
therefore
we are definitely lacking at least a small portion of consensus.

Thanks,

~k