From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@directi.com>
To: "'Thomas Roessler'" <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:47:07 +0530
Subject: RE: WHOIS accuracy: registrant response times ?

Hi thomas,

I have not had experience towards statistics on actual inaccuracies in
whois, because we havent had inaccuracy reports on us yet. However I do
have past experience from my hosting business. In web hosting we
typically have renewal processing. Many clients register for a year and
after an year when time comes for renewal my sales staff is unable to
contact them because of invalid registration data in their record in our
database.

Typically it has taken averagely atleast a month to get in touch with
clients and proactively get them to update our database records. What we
do is track them through their website contact information. Then try and
find the person in their organisation who is responsible. Sometimes this
person no longer exists in the company so we need to try and find
someone who is taking over. Then we have to explain to them what we are
talking about. After which we would be able to try and get them to renew
as well as change their data.

Now you need to understand a few crucial differences here -

* In hosting we have the incentive to catch each client individually and
follow up with them since our margins are quite high, in domain names it
would not be feasible to do that level of follow up. The maximum I can
think of is sending ONE postal notice to the customer

* In hosting, even if we DO NOT manage to get in touch with the
customer, what we do is after a 30 day period we SUSPEND their website.
Once their website is suspended, they would probably realise so in about
5-30 days depending on how important the web is to their business. We
cannot just go ahead and delete the website because it contains
important data and information which they may not have a copy of.

In domain name cases I would suggest a 45+45 day period ATLEAST. Where
we must allow 45 days to a registrant to rectify their information, and
if it is not rectified, then put that domain name on REGISTRAR HOLD for
45 days, after which if the information is still not rectified, then we
can delete the domain name.

Hope this helps you

Thanks
Best Regards