From: owner-nc-whois@dnso.org [mailto:owner-nc-whois@dnso.org] On Behalf
Of Ram Mohan
Sent: 09 October 2002 15:42
To: Kristy McKee
Cc: nc-whois@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [nc-whois] Fw: [dnssac] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-crisp-requirements-01.txt (fwd)

kristy,
happy to contribute :)

my suggestions as below:

<modified_paragraph>

Verisign is working with the IETF to develop a new Cross Registry
Information Service Protocol (a.k.a. CRISP) to improve or replace port
43 access to WHOIS data.

This new CRISP protocol attempts to define methods by which the
directory services of domain registries and the common base requirements
for extending the use of these services for other types of Internet
registries.  Although CRISP is not a centralized repository for Whois
data, upon adoption by registries and registrars, it would enable
Centralized Public Access by formalizing a uniform interface to the
WHOIS data, aiding the Task Force's focus on Uniformity and Consistency.

CRISP, upon adoption, may provide new ability for role-based access to
WHOIS information (for example, the Technical Contact level might permit
access to information relevant to networking, while the Billing Contact
level might permit access to information relevant to the needs of
finance, and so on).

CRISP may take many years to develop, implement and be universally
adopted, and is unlikely to be available as a short-term solution. In
the long run, however, it may help to address many of the concerns with
respect to a universally searchable Whois service.

The Task Force recommends to all interested parties to participate in
the IETF process, in order to provide sufficient guidance to ensure that
WHOIS in the future can be uniformly accessible and searchable.

</modified_paragraph>

-ram
Ram Mohan
Vice President, Business Operations