[nc-whois]

Re: [nc-whois] Fw: [dnssac] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-crisp-requirements-01.txt (fwd)

kristy,
happy to contribute :)

my suggestions as below:

<modified_paragraph>

Verisign is working with the IETF to develop a new Cross Registry
Information Service Protocol (a.k.a. CRISP)
to improve or replace port 43 access to WHOIS data.

This new CRISP protocol attempts to define methods by which the directory
services of domain registries
and the common base requirements for extending the use of these services for
other types of Internet
registries.  Although CRISP is not a centralized repository for Whois data,
upon adoption by registries
and registrars, it would enable Centralized Public Access by formalizing a
uniform interface to the
WHOIS data, aiding the Task Force's focus on Uniformity and Consistency.

CRISP, upon adoption, may provide new ability for role-based access to WHOIS
information
(for example, the Technical Contact level might permit access to information
relevant to networking, while the Billing Contact level might
permit access to information relevant to the needs of finance, and so on).

CRISP may take many years to develop, implement and be universally adopted,
and is
unlikely to be available as a short-term solution. In the long run,
however, it may help to address many of the concerns with respect to a
universally searchable Whois service.

The Task Force recommends to all interested parties to participate in the
IETF process, in order to provide
sufficient guidance to ensure that WHOIS in the future can be uniformly
accessible and searchable.

</modified_paragraph>

-ram
Ram Mohan