From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:roessler@does-not-exist.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 6:43 AM
To: nc-whois@dnso.org
Subject: [nc-whois] No sensitive information in the WHOIS?

When looking at www.thomson-thomson.com, I found the following
remark particularly, well, entertaining:

>You may also monitor your competition: Companies often purchase
>domain names for products before those products are officially
>launched. Knowing what domain names your competition is holding
>gives you insight into their business strategy.

(In the description for the Domain Registrant Search product; I'm
not pasting the URL since it would span several lines.)

I have a strong feeling that facilitating _this_ kind of access to
data is not within ICANN's mandate....

Of course, what this ultimately demonstrates is that services which
may have a lot of value to the IP community may quite well have side
effects which are not so welcome.
--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>