[nc-udrp]

Re: [nc-udrp] RE: Summary of Responses 82-89

Dear All:

I think that everyone is seriously overreacting.  Caroline's email in no way
indicates that there will be no robust debate or inclusion of the various
viewpoints regarding the need for reform to the UDRP.  It is exactly this
kind of overreaction that leads TF leaders to feel "attacked" over innocent
comments.  I, for one, think the survey responses are interesting, but not
dispositive.  In addition, I am well aware of Dr. Froomkin's concerns about
the UDRP since its very inception and have read a great majority of his
rather prolific works on this subject (although I must confess I have not
yet read the his latest).  I have no problem (and always assumed) that we
would all have an opportunity to discuss these viewpoints before forwarding
our paper to the NC.

Please let's not overreact.  If we feel that there areas that require
further consideration or debate so be it.  Let's suggest a format for doing
so (such as a suggested schedule/timetable for considering and debating the
various papers that have been put forward).  Let's have action and
pragmatism, rather than assuming that the process is designed to shut
someone or some viewpoint out.

That being said, I may have misinterpreted the tone of Scott's and Michael's
earlier messages.  However, that should only highlight the danger of email
as a primary mode of communication.  Far too often email communication is
either too caustic in tone or has the ability to be misinterpreted as
caustic when that is not the intent.  Let us all beware.  I hope that I have
not offended either Scott or Michael.  That is not my intent.  Their points
are valid and should be explored.  My only criticism is that their messages
both seemed to assume the worst and that is not, IMHO, a positive way to
approach these issues.

J. Scott Evans