[nc-udrp]

RE: [nc-udrp] UDRP Review Questionnaire

The questionnaire looks like it is coming together nicely.  I like the
groupings and flow, though it may be a lot to ask for practically every
question to require more than a simple Yes/No response.  (We should also
have "N.A." options for most questions.)

Here are some thoughts I have about the revision:

1)  #20.  It's not clear to me why this question is duplicated at the top of
page two.

2)  All of the first page questions are worded as if the person answering
has participated in only one UDRP proceeding.  Many parties on both sides,
and certainly the attorneys, have participated in multiple proceedings and,
presumably, have had a variety of experiences.

3)  I think we should add a new question either before or after #2 (bottom
of page one):
If you were the Complainant and a transfer was ordered in your case, did you
experience difficulty having the order implemented?  If yes, please provide
details.
(This question is proposed in consideration of the concern I raised in an
earlier e-mail.  It is probably the number one complaint about the process
we hear from Complainants, while the complaints we hear from Respondents are
very well represented in this questionnaire already.  Also, there are very
few questions aimed at Complainants in this questionnaire.)

4)  #33.  I propose a re-wording of this question to clarify what is being
asked:
Do you believe both registration and use [in bad faith] should be required
[to satisfy the] bad faith [requirement]?  (My changes in brackets.  This
more closely follows the language of the Policy.)

5)  #43a. I suggest the following addition to the question:
[Under what circumstances, if any, s]hould a pending....  [same as original,
but remove the Why/why not at the end.]  (I think this will provide us more
useful answers.)

6)  #40.  I believe there is a typo in this question.  It should read
...requested by [Respondent]... otherwise the question makes no sense.  (The
Respondent pays nothing when Complainant requests a three member panel.)

7)  #40.  If #40 is still necessary, then the corollary should be there for
the Complainant:
Should a Complainant get a refund on the fee for a three person panel
requested by the Complainant when the Respondent defaults and, if so, what
portion?

Hope these suggestions are useful.

Timothy S. Cole
Assistant Director of Arbitration