From: Ram Mohan [mailto:rmohan@AFILIAS.INFO]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [GTLD-RC] Revised DRAFT NC resolution re WHOIS TF report

Marilyn,
I understand and appreciate the thought and effort behind your posting.

However, asking the board or the NC to approve policy _prior_ to determining
its feasibility (via an implementation group) seems ... somewhat
short-sighted.  For example, had the Redemption Grace Period group not first
met from an implementation perspective, prior to approving policy, some
critical elements would not have been flushed out - for a relatively simple
policy item.

Given the much more complex issues that are associated with Whois, I think
the NC Chair's approach has great value, and may in fact be the only real
way to see the hard work that you and all of us on this Task Force have put
in actually make it into implementable reality.

Speaking as a member of a Constituency which will have to foot the bill
(along with Registrars) for implementing these (much-needed) changes, the
changes that our Task Force is recommending are (a) non-trivial, (b) require
significant implementation work, and (c) will cause reprioritization of
other needed tasks, including tasks leading to potential loss of revenue.
This does not mean that these changes should not be implemented - the
Constituencies would not be involved otherwise.  But - it does mean that we
as a Task Force must remain aware of the problem in front of us.

I understand the desire to limit "substantive" policy changes as part of the
Implementation Team's role -- however, as anyone who's involved in
implementing technology knows, sometimes the best-implemented technical
solutions will still fall short of defined policy goals, and as a result,
cause "substantive" policy changes.  This is not advocacy - it's simply
reality.

-Ram
Ram Mohan
Vice President, Business Operations