[nc-transfer]

RE: [nc-transfer] FW: Briefing on Legal Conditions for PolicyImplementation

Dan,

With all due respect, the Transfers TF does prescribe to the Registrars and
Registries "what" they must do.

A few examples are that Registrars:

1)  must use a standard FOA before initiating a transfer
2)  must give out an Auth-code within 72 hours of request
3)  may not deny a transfer for:
	i)	Nonpayment for a pending or future registration period
	ii)	No response from the Registrant or Administrative contact
unless the Losing Registrar shows evidence of Express 		Objection
from the Registrant or Administrative Contact as described in section 3.e.vi
	iii)	Domain name in Registrar Lock Status
	iv)	Domain name registration period time constraints other than
during the first 60 days of initial registration.
	v)	General payment defaults between registrar and business
partners / affiliates in cases where the registrant for 		the
domain in question has paid for the registration.
4)  must submit to alternate dispute resolution

In addition, Registries must have a dispute mechanism (even if they are
compensated for it)

Now, all of these things may be good things and they all may be accepted by
the Registry and Registrar communities, I just don't have enough feedback on
these yet.  However, whether they are implemented through the Registrar
Accreditation Agreement or whether they are implemented through the
Registry-Registrar Agreements does not change the fact that there are new
affirmative obligations on the Registrars and Registries.

Again, let me stress that I am not offering a value judgment on whether
these things are good or bad, but just an observation that we do prescribe
the "what" as well as the "how."

Jeff